header advt
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi!
I recently got into Second Life. I only have experience modding Bethesda games, but I hope to learn about making assets for SL. Seeing everything's free on Bethesda modding scene, it's was a shock to see how the SL economy works. It was a relief to find Copybot.club.
postbit slot
Welcome to the Copybot Club nudibranch,

Second Life economy apparently seems to be very straightforward but it is not! The concept that everybody can make money on the platform it is one of the first lies, everything inside SL ecosystem is made for Linden Labs to be profitable: land prices, premium accounts, upload costs, marketplace commissions, Linden dollars etc etc.
Very few creators make ends meat there because the margins are very small. However, people, mostly new members think that we all can make it there… It's false!!!

The more you come to know 'the game' the less innocent you become!
Most of the items are expensive, the most simple example is how much it costs you to have a complete avatar with just a few sets of clothes.
If you add to it the ownership or edit rights you have on your purchases, then you are already tied with No Mod/No Trans items.
Not only they don't want you to be able to edit but they don't want you to create. 

The experience you have with 'mods' is a fairytale that doesn't translate into the SL economy and that is sad Exclamation

When you read Second Life ToS you come to realize you don't own anything… land is not yours even if you pay it, the real money you pay to convert to L$ turns into game tokens and if they ever go down, then you lost everything and you agreed to it.
This is not an opinion, these are facts!!!

The Copybot movement is also perceived by most, since 2006, to be a bunch of outlaws that want to take down creators and erase the economy to the ground but that is an old biased opinion of those who always looked for an easy scapegoat!
We agree to disagree Exclamation

We believe in your right to own your purchases, to be able to take your stuff and create your own dream SIMs without such restrictions and you have a way to go OpenSim and take your belongings with you!
Why can't a new avatar be stylish from the start or have some small parcel to be creative?

We are not like other communities who have hidden agendas or lure you for some sort of subscription to be able to have a Copybot Viewer
In this club, you have access to our tools since you register and we also provide tutorials for you to improve your knowledge to be able to back up what you own.

I advise you to read the rules so that you understand how everything works!
This takes some time but it is time well spent! In the end, you will know how to share, how to participate, and what access you do have in any given user group.

Our community is very helpful and we have everybody in it! Creators, Developers, Scripters and our priority is to keep every identity safe!
Whenever you are stuck you can ask the community and that is our greatest strength. We are not the forum, we are the community!!!

I hope you'll feel right at home Smile

Cheers,
showbis Cool
Thank you so much for your warm welcome and explanations, Showbis!

That's saddening to hear, but it's better knowing the truth than getting my hopes up. I know about microtransactions, but making a profit on work that is user-made, not made by Linden Labs... I don't like that.

The Copybot.club community has a good perspective to me!

I've read the rules and have been scouring for content for the Sandbox, but run into a few problems with uploading to test, because I'm not "certified" to upload models. Until I put some payment details I hope what I upload works ok.

Thank you again, I think I will!
Thanks for the compliments nudibranch!!!!
I like to give honest opinions and present the facts as they are.

On the 'certified' payment details… get a prepaid credit card that might work on SL

Then you can upload it to the Preview grid also known as Aditi. This is where you can est your mesh uploads without risking spending more testing your creations. Here is the wiki page that explains how it all works and you'll have L$50k for your tests  Wink