header advt
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The LL enigma: why don't they ban us having all the power to?
When time ago I first studied how a viewer was built in C# I quickly realized that there are dozens of things that would allow LL to automate with any type of scripting language to detect any of the things that are forbidden in the TOS.
At the end of each day they would have a harvest of automatically created lists of CB users, and the script itself would ban them all and their alters. Without disheveling even a lil bit Smile
Okay, so the question is this:
Why doesn't LL easily ban us if they has plenty of tools to do it?
This is still quite an enigm for me.
Sometimes I think that there're some purely economic reason behind all this, that it's nothing more than a theater, because it encourages people to buy things to copy, no matter how strange it may seem, or for any other economic reason. What else?
Because of all this that I tell you, I still find incredible that being able to do it very easily, however, LL doesn't ban us.
What do you think about all this and, specially, how do you reason it? T.I.A.
postbit slot
It's same reason that Microsoft don't actively try take their users to court over illegal activation of their product.

The people that tend to use illegal means often end up spending more on other things that benefit them.

If say 50000 users were logged on to SL right now.

Out of that 50000, maybe only 200 are CB users at a max.

Out of that 200, many will come to places like CBC, look for item, if it not there they often request it, someone here will look at it and think ooo, I like that, I'll go buy it then share it.

Now with mesh, not that many will take risk of uploading it, I wouldn't, too much to lose these days, so I see the item, love it, then end up going on a shopping spree.

I would never of known about item if it hadn't of been shared thus not gone and bought it.

So in effect, CB'ers are like an advert for them, they get more out of leaving us alone than they do coming after of us, but if we get caught and reported then they have a legal responsibility to remove us.

In reflection, for creators, though they moan about lost income, CB'ers only go after high quality goods, so the more they targeted the bigger rep they get, so in the long run they benefit more than they lose.

Locks, Laws and security are only there to prevent honest and scared people from trying, which in effect is the largest majority of consumers. Smile
SL is a social platform and all the issues that are reported are between people.
It makes sense for only people to be involved in the decision making process.

To maintain a healthy relationship with their users a company generally goes with the "Innocent until proven guilty" policy.
A computer can easily generate false positives, especially when dealing with so many OS'es and software components.

The bad PR and negative reviews they would get from auto-banning innocent people without proper evidence would not be worth the risk.
And it would be considered hacker-ish and maybe a breach of privacy to poke around in a users system to find evidence against them.

The only things they could monitor without controversy. Is the default files & data already being uploaded to SL. Like viewer-name, viewer-stats, system-folder, IM / chat, etc. Most of which is already spoofed by CB devs.
It seems like that would be so much work for LL. There's no telling how many thousands of meshes and textures are uploaded every single day on SL and LL doesn't inherently know if it's an original or a copy of something, or if it was something someone bought fullperm, what have you.  Even if their system could identify that "user a is uploading a texture that already exists in our database" it doesn't automatically mean that someone is a copybotter.

Also, from what I understand, the cb viewers spoofing is very effective and I dunno if LL can actually pick up that it's a 'bad' viewer?  Many other SL viewers are open source, plus people just make viewers for fun, so even if LL saw someone using a viewer with a strange name, again, it wouldn't necessarily mean that someone is using it to copybot or do anything else against TOS.
Firestorm keeps a list with "special" viewers and im sure, the lindens have even something similar, maybe much longer

look in firestorm-install-folder/app_settings/client_list_v2.xml

--

and youre right, they make money out of copybotters - acting only on reported users
nothing different than RL
The problem, Chiika, is always not the viewer - I am very comfortable with the security afforded by both R and DS viewers - but only those detectable and special things that only can be done with a CB viewer Smile

(04-22-2021, 01:04 PM)Emma Frost Wrote: look in firestorm-install-folder/app_settings/client_list_v2.xml

I will do. Tyvm, Emma.

(04-22-2021, 01:04 PM)Emma Frost Wrote: nothing different than RL

You made me laugh hahaha You're right!!!
But I'm discovering that it's not very easy to laugh while one is having a meal hahaha